What makes this geek tick?
Among my passions are building rock-solid websites, and running bustling restaurants. I’m a freelance web guy living in the Windsor/Essex area of Ontario, Canada, but I’ve also spent almost twenty-five years in the restaurant industry, managing different styles of food service businesses.
Building websites using W3C-compliant HTML and CSS is my specialty. Helping to keep my parts of the interwebs accessible and future-ready is what I’m all about. I’m also a big fan of presenting solutions to my clients, sometimes for problems they didn’t expect the web to be able to solve for them. Studying their competition, and consulting them on their marketing efforts is also a big part of what I do, and keeps me learning, my job changing, and my life interesting.
Besides that, I’m the General Manager of Smoke & Spice Southern Barbeque, which means I’m gaining weight faster than expected at my age, because we put out the best smoked barbeque fare anywhere near these parts! A big chunk of my days are gobbled up keeping the restaurant very successful, regardless of this recessionary time. When I’m not at the restaurant, you’ll find me at my laptop. A lot of times you’ll find me at my laptop, at the restaurant.
When I’m not writing code, I’m thinking about writing code, or reading about writing code, or dreaming about writing code. Sometimes I design things that make life a little prettier, visit with or communicate with my dear clients, and do some other necessary stuff. You might be looking for a great website solution and you just wanna make sure that you’re not hiring a nut case. I suppose, then, I’m at the mercy of your judgement.
Sometimes, when I get really lucky, I get to do some fun stuff with my kids.
I guess you might say that this is my little self-help corner of the internet. If you’re actually reading this, you’re probably either related to me, bored, or need to get out more.
Accolades and Accomplishments
- I am the “2009 Pecker Cup Horseshoe Co-Champion” for the annual Edgewater Park Lodge tournament, an honour I share with my brother’s girlfriend, Kelly Baker.
- My daughter thinks I’m the strongest man alive.
- I’ve achieved the rank of 1st Dan Black Belt in the art of Tae Kwon-Do attending Northern Fist Martial Arts.
- I have an above-average singing voice.
- Some people think that I look like Adam Sandler, Martin Short, Paul Reubens, and even Nicolas Cage once.
- I make an absolutely delicious Manhattan.
- The “Medium” setting while playing drums on “Guitar Hero” makes me look like a rock star.
- I can still make my wife laugh (although not always on purpose).